ASH Co-op exists to promote and encourage diversity amongst its membership. Coupled with this is our responsibility, as a landlord, to provide all members of Ash Co-op with a safe and healthy living environment. This policy aims to strike a balance between the needs and interests of both smokers and non-smokers within our community, offering a degree of protection to those who chose not to smoke whilst ensuring smokers retain the right to smoke in accepted areas of the co-op.
- The Hut: All meetings held in the hut shall be non-smoking, with breaks provided for those wishing to smoke at a time agreed by the meeting. Further to this, interviews for shortlist applicants and other events held in the hut such as training sessions, shall also be non-smoking, with breaks agreed as above.
- Flats and members’ own rooms: Members may smoke in their flat/own room.
- Communal areas in shared houses.
- Kitchens: More than any other shared parts of a house, there are specific health and safety issues around smoking in kitchens. Therefore, should any member of the household object, other members should agree not to smoke in the kitchen.
- Other communal areas of shared houses (living rooms, hallways, stairways, bathrooms, shower rooms, toilets and drying rooms): If half the members of a shared house object to smoking, the communal parts of that house should be non-smoking.
- ASH Co-op to provide No Smoking signs to houses requesting them.